Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fun with Family History

I heard from a member of the San Rafael Ward that attendance is way down in the Famiy History Center. Were all my efforts in vain? I thought I made myself perfectly clear. Do it or die!

OK, OK I am kidding, sorta.

I thought I would share a little success story to inspire. I know a lot about my ancestors and to me it is difficult to imagine not knowing the details of their lives.

The first family I ever worked on was a family by the name of Vandersluys. I didn't really know what I was doing for several years, but I stumbled along and found this and that. The family were in England from about 1732 and I have tried several times to find the Dutch connection. So in about 1750 I have a Lambertus Vandersluys, soldier, named as father on a christening record in Exeter, Devon, England. Just last week I found a contract, dated 1710, for a Lambertus Vandersluys to build a theater in the Kaatsban in the City of Utrecht, Holland. I don't know the exact connection yet, but this is a first step that has taken 15 years to make. Are they related? Probably!

Now the fun begins to find a birth/baptism record for a Lambertus Vandersluys, son of Lambertus, in a city the size of Utrecht. I know this might sound daunting, but oh the joy when I do find that record.

1 comment:

Annie said...

You've inspired me with your treasure hunt!