Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Price of Beauty


I have been thinking about the beauty I left behind in Marin. I have had moments of despair over the insane cost of living and the toll it takes on the inhabitants. When I lived in New York City there were many transplants from the Caribbean living in the gritty city. I wondered why anyone would leave a tropical paradise behind for a life in New York. Now I know. You can't eat the scenery.

The cost to live in beauty is that the individual risks becoming ugly. Road rage, anger, stress, and impatience are byproducts of treading water and only barely keeping your head above the surface. I miss Marin, but the price was much too high.

2 comments:

Cyrus and Annie said...

amen. I love this place but we are drowning after only a couple of years. Luckily, there hasn't been anyplace I have lived that I haven't found something to love...it is the hunt for the hidden gems once you get there that is what is so great about going to a new place.

Annie said...

Utah has its own beauty. That fall leaves are wonderful and Utah is so pretty with its snow covered mountains.
With that said, I too still miss Marin.
There's a price for everything as you said.