Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Birdseed gravy

Jerry and I were talking about Thanksgivings past when he said, "The gravy you made two years ago was the best ever." I had to laugh. Nearly every year for at least the past ten years we celebrated Thanksgiving with Jerry's brother, Robin, and his family. A couple of years ago, my sister-in-law Robbin asked me to make the gravy and I asked for a jar to mix the flour and water. The only jar she could find held birdseed at one time, but we washed it a couple of times and proceeded.

The first taste of gravy revealed a hint of birdseed flavor, but Robbin and I just decided to put it on the table and hope for the best. The raves were instant. "This is the best gravy" nearly everyone exclaimed. Someone hit the nail on the head saying, "It has a distinctive nutty flavor." The conversation moved on and Robbin gave me a sly knowing look. The secret to great gravy is to fill a glass jar with birdseed a few months before Thanksgiving.

No comments: