Friday, November 16, 2007

Men are that they might have joy


While Jerry and I are far from perfect, we have done a few things that have kept us on an even keel. I thought I might share a few of the goofy things we do to stay sane as a couple.

1. We have never gone a single day without saying I LOVE YOU. Even when we don't mean it. Which means that when I want to spit on Jerry for some perceived wrong I say, "I love you" instead. It changes the whole mood of things.

2. We laugh every day. We love quoting Jim Gaffigan, South Park, and Spinal Tap, among other things. For example, last night Jerry asked me how I liked dinner and I replied, "None more." Jerry said, "Do we like Spinal Tap a little too much?" I had completely forgotten we borrowed that phrase from the movie. It is just something we say every day.

3. Jerry walks me out to my car and kisses me goodbye through the open car window every time I leave the house. No exceptions to this ever. He has never waivered, even if we were in the middle of a fight.

4. We try to have joint projects.

5. Just like John Lennon did with Yoko, Jerry includes me in everything he does. He will not take a project which excludes the wives. I am always in the recording studio, albeit not sitting right next to his side. I go to most of his gigs and rehearsals.

6. Jerry never goes out with the guys and I never go out with the girls. We tend to hang out with couples who don't do that either. Basically, if there is a situation which leaves the other person with a pouty lower lip, we don't do that activity. No matter how justified you feel and how irrational you believe your partner to be, what is point of doing any activity that is going to put a grain of resentment into the relationship?

7. We pray together everyday.

8. Something I learned from my sister-in-law. Give 110% even if he is not pulling his weight. Eventually he will rise up to meet you. After all isn't that how Heavenly Father operates. He keeps loving us until we finally see the light.

1 comment:

mb said...

You are so photogenic! Dang you!