Thursday, November 1, 2007

Weighing in on politics

You cannot just subscribe to a Bible religion and then call yourself a Christian. You have to behave in a Christ-like manner to truly be Christian. I was reading an article about Mitt Romney’s bid for the White House.
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695223044,00.html

The article details the Southern Baptist belief that members of the LDS Church are not Christians and are cult members. I have a hard time understanding how a religion based on the Bible, as the absolute word of God, has the nerve to spend one minute putting down any one of God’s children, no matter their religion. Don’t they risk incurring God’s wrath for such an act? I believe that when you put yourself above others in any way, shape, or form you have missed the point entirely.

The LDS faithful follow the teachings of Christ (i.e., Are Christians) and we are lucky enough to have the Bible AND the Book of Mormon for further guidance.

That Christian spirit pervaded the 2002 Utah Winter Olympics. I went to the Closing Ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics, along with attending many other sporting events. There was a general hum that those were the most organized, best Olympic games of all time. Mitt Romney is a great leader and he pulled the SLOC from utter shame to Radiant Pride. I wonder what great things he could do for the nation. Heaven knows we need some help after eight years of Bush.

Now for all you Republicans, I was willing to give Bush a chance. On the night he was finally declared President-elect I cried, and hard. Several people said, “What’s the big deal? Bush was the lesser of two evils.” My answer was, “Yes, but Bush is going to pull this country downhill.” And even my ultra-conservative friends tend to concede that Bush could have done a better job.

I do not generally vote Republican, but I will vote for Mitt. He is the most experienced and best leader in the running. Someone sent me a link on youtube titled “George Bush drunk”. It shows a video of Bush Jr. tipsy at a wedding. How is that OK, but being Mormon is just intolerable? Rudy Giuliani’s moral judgment seems lacking. Hilary I am not sure about yet. Obama is just too inexperienced to lead the nation.

This focus on a candidate’s religion goes back to old biases that have been largely overcome by other minorities. Somehow it is still OK to Mormon-bash.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I too have been really impressed with Mitt. I think I'd vote for him too. Did you hear his very subtle Hillary bash in the most recent debates...it was good, really good! It wasn't your tipical bash that I hate in politics but rather an articulate and very true statement spoke for itself.

Kathy said...

I missed that comment from Mitt. If anyone remembers the gist of his comment to Hilary please post it to the comments.

Thanks,
Kathy

Cyrus and Annie said...

I agree. I am not a political person but I really like Mitt Romney. When I was in Michigan as a missionary, probably about 3 out of 10 doors the people answering would ask me if I know George Romney (Mitt's dad) and talk about what a great man he was. I don't think the apple falls far from the tree. I was also impressed with the Olympics and with the fact that he drove a car that's lease cost 1/3 of that of the previous and subsequent governor in Mass. He isn't perfect but he seems good. Really good.