Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It's a small Mormon world

I live in the United States which is a pretty big country. I am LDS, which can now count over 11 million people as members. I am totally amazed at what a small world it is though! I currently live 750 miles from my hometown. In my small ward 750 miles from home I know of five people from my hometown, three of whom went to my high school. Kathleen B. and I went to junior high and high school together. Craig and Kim W. lived in my mom's ward for a time and Craig went to high school with my sister. The Bishop's dad was one of my high school teachers. Drew B. went to my high school, albeit many years after me. There might be others I just don't know about right now.

When I lived in NYC I was surprised at how many visitors I knew at church. I attended church in Brooklyn, not Manhattan, and the church was way out of the way. It took some effort to get there. While talking to one missionary in Brooklyn he was talking about his best friend. The more he talked I realized he was talking about my cousin. That is the great thing about being LDS, we are a social religion, not just a 'show up on Sunday in whatever clothes you feel like' religion. We really know each other, we take care of each other and we love each other. I could go to church anywhere on earth and there is a good probability that I might run into someone I know. What a cool religion! Oh yeah, and to top it off the doctrine is beautiful perfection!

No comments: