Wednesday, March 7, 2007

To Homeschool or Not

Until recently I never had an opinion about homeschooling. I personally loathed attending school, for the most part. I often wondered if I would have benefitted from being homeschooled. I was a day dreamer and I would spend most of the day looking out the window at the world passing me by. However, I now see the value of a bricks and mortar school setting.

A woman brought her homeschooled child to his first guitar lesson. She had been teaching him to play guitar by reading notes out of a book. She emailed the day after that first lesson and quit, writing, "I am not willing to pay for something I can do myself." Now I feel compelled to explain that Jerry's guitar lessons are fun, low pressure, and every student walks away being able to play something from day one. Jerry called this woman back and explained that there is a lot more to playing guitar than reading notes off a page. Unless you have been in the trenches you cannot possibly know that instead of playing the difficult Am7 chord you could play the easier C over G chord and get the same sound. This principle applies to math, biology, history and every other field of study. Those who are experts in any subject can convey the beauty and simplicity of complex ideas. The woman replied to Jerry, "There is nothing my child needs to know that I cannot teach him."

I thought about that statement for a few days. This mother is likely going to instill stupidity. What is the point of a head full of knowledge but a stupid approach to life? I am sure that those who homeschool probably have the opposite goal. I don't mean stupid as in unintelligent, but stupid as in uninformed. The credential for elementary education is a long learning path. Those with a credential know things that the average person does not know about education, learning styles, and behavior.

I am sure that there are some great things about homeschooling, but there are drawbacks too. Every family has some level of dysfunction from being too close or enmeshed to being too distant. Kids need a few hours each day, separate from the family, to figure out who they are in the world without constant parental feedback. Time spent on the playground gives kids the chance to form relationships outside the watchful eye of their parents. These relationships are crucial to development. Kids get feedback from their peers ranging from, "I don't like you" to "You are my best friend."

There is no other setting including karate, ballet, and sunday school that compares to school. You start the year not knowing anybody. Over time you develop relationships with the teacher and other students in a comprehensive, intense setting. You learn what others expect out of you. You get to inform others what you expect out of them. You get daily feedback from adults outside your family. And then the school year closes and you have to say goodbye to people you have learned to love or loathe. School is much more than an education. You get to experience love, anger, exhilaration, boredom, frustration, joy, and loss in a controlled way.

I would bet that everyone who ever attended school had at least one teacher who changed their life. Mentors are invaluable. There is more to life than education. I never thought about homeschooling before, but I would say that the educational shortfalls from attending public school can be made up for later in life. I know this from my own experience. When I entered college my writing skills were lacking. I figured out what I needed to improve and I worked on the weak areas. There is only one chance to learn the social nuances of being five, eight, or seventeen years old with other kids of the same age.

4 comments:

Kasey said...

Your post is brilliant. May I talk about it and refer to it on my blog? Thanks!

Cyrus and Annie said...

Kathy...You are right. Hit is right on the head. It is not about the knowing, it is about the being able to work it out in the difficult experiences. We cant shield our children from all difficulty and school is like a mini lab for learning to work with others, get along with differences and really choose the right when no adult is looking and judging. BRILLIANT...you are great!
ANNIE

Annie said...

I have researched the topic of homeschooling for some months now and definitely have my opinions on it. However, with that said, I don't think I can sufficiently present the arguments FOR and AGAINST homeschooling in a mere comment on your blog.
The cliffnotes is that yes, public school does offer many learning opportunities in life skills and socializing but if you homeschool correctly you are still able to offer these same learning experiences in addition to a far superior education (math, reading, grammar etc.)
Many homeschool families are a part of an even larger homeschool network where they provide field trips and weekly joint school sessions with 20-30 other homeschooled kids. I've checked into the Marin homeschoolers (http://www.marinhomeschoolers.com/) and they get together for joint "school" several times a week.
As I mentioned last night, one of my good friends homeschools all 5 of her children in a similar manner exposing them to more activities, experiences and other children than the average public school child ever gets. In her case, because of the way in which she homeschools, her children are getting a FAR superior education than almost any other child I know.
With all of that said, homeschooling techniques vary widely across the board just like public schools vary. There are terrible public schools and great ones.
It's unfortunate that the woman who came to Jerry to teach her child guitar had to be so ignorant. I don't think her personality should necessary effect your views on homeschooling as a whole...she just happens to be one of the women who gives homeschooling a bad stereotype.
I currently am appling many of the wonderful homeschooling techniques to my daily curriculum with Vance. It has been a terrific experience for the both of us. However, homeschooling is a very demanding thing. In three years Vance will be old enough to enter into public school. Do I plan on putting him in Kindergarden? Yes, probably. To do a really good job at homeschooling, you have to dedicate your life to it. I personally am not able or willing to do that so I will put him in public school and suppliment where the schools are lacking.
So there are my two bits. Thanks for addressing the subject.

Kathy said...

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Annie!

Jerry has had a number of homeschooled children as students. They are bright, articulate and engaging on the whole. And for the most part Mom is overinvolved in their lives. This last kid had a zero personality, so I know it is the mom's ignorance and maybe even arrogance that is the problem in that situation. Public schools are definitely in trouble, but I guess the bottom line for me is that kids past the age of six really do need a break from their parents and from their friend's parents. The role of a teacher is educator, disciplinarian, and mentor. If you misbehave in front of your mom's friend or your friend's mom she is in the predicament of not wanting to offend your mom so the boundary setting is probably going to be lacking. Also in a credential program they teach classroom and behavior management. I am not sure whether homeschoolers take a semester of education in child management.

Being bored in school is not such a bad thing in my opinion either. I am the person I am today because I had a lot of time to just think, because the spotlight wasn't always on me and every moment of every day was not a "learning moment." I think it is great with a capital G if you want to homeschool Vance, because I know you will pour your all into it.

As a psychologist I would just say that you will have to take extra steps to spend time apart and long chunks of time, like all day Saturday, every week, to avoid becoming an enmeshed family. While the kids are little there is no chance of enmeshment, because you are their everything out of necessity. Once they can take themselves to the potty, pour their own breakfast cereal and articulate opinions I think it can be problematic for Mom (for most homeschooled kids) to still be their everything. You want to instill your beliefs and values, but that constant togetherness can lead to kids relying on your personality and character rather than developing their own. Luckily in life there are many shades of gray and there is no one right way. The process is what is important. Families can be together forever, but you want the family system to be healthy. I wonder how effective mom is at being mom in the evening if she has played teacher all day. It is actually kind of a predicament to put a kid in. I am your teacher during the day and your mom at night. We take knowledge from this world and I think that can often be misconstrued as educational learning. I believe that just as important as the facts and figures is the playground knowledge, the things we learn at camp, the things we learn at slumber parties, and the things we figure out completely on our own.

We did a ton of research on new cars, picked the one with the best ratings and one that people we know love. Within 24 hours of driving off the lot the transmission failed. All the research and anecdotal evidence in the world does not mean anything if your transmission fails. In the end you have to go with your gut and fervent prayer. What feels right for you and your family.