Thursday, March 8, 2007

Utah Digital Newspapers explained

Through the Marriott Library at the University of Utah there is a project underway to digitize and index many of the newspapers for the state of Utah. Most states have a project like this in process. But since most of my ancestors were from Utah I thought I would explain how to use this one. For those of my friends who don't want to even think about genealogy this is a fun foray into the world of your ancestors.

In the search box enter a full name and check the "exact phrase" box. If you have a mac you will then have to click another link to see the image, but I think on a PC the newspaper image will just come up. If you want to only search a local paper or the Deseret News there is a dropdown box with that option on the home page.

I had one ancestor I knew nothing about, John B. Meredith. Through the Utah Digital Newspapers database I learned that he organized a relief effort for famine victims in Nebraska. He wrote about the changes he made to a mosquito abatement formula the county recommended. He lent his name to an advertisement for Fontyn Tea. He sold prize winning rams. He operated a barge that ran salt from the Great Salt Lake, up the Jordan River, to downtown Salt Lake City. In a letter I was given, John wrote to his daughter, "Did Dr. Fontyn send a check yet?" If not for the advertisement I would have no idea what he was talking about. If you have Utah ancestors you will have fun with this site.

No comments: